The Quantum Design Physical Property Measurement System (PPMS)
PPMS is a versatile variable temperature-field measurement system, designed to perform a variety of automated measurements. Sample environment controls include fields up to ± 14 tesla and temperature range of 1.9 - 400 K. The system is equipped with following options:
- DC Resistivity Option with four independent channels
- AC Transport Option for performing AC resistivity, Hall Effect, I-V Curve Tracing, and Critical Current measurements with 1 nV sensitivity, nΩ resolution at 2 A. Drive amplitude 10 μA to 2 A
- Horizontal & Vertical Sample Rotators with thermometer located on rotator platform and precision stepper controlled rotator.
- AC Susceptibility & DC Magnetization Option (ACMS) with digital signal processing for increased sensitivity: 10-8 emu (AC); 2.5 x 10-5 emu (DC)
- Heat Capacity Option, including completely automated relaxation technique from 1.9 - 400 K
- Thermal Transport Option, including AC Resistivity, thermal conductivity, Seebeck Coefficient, and thermoelectric Figure of Merit ZT
- Multi-Function Probe with direct axial ports to the sample stage to install light pipes, fiber optic cables, microwave guides and/or extra electrical leads.
Sealed sample chamber has 2.6 cm diameter sample access.
Rules regarding magnet use and liquid Helium levels:
Helium level >60%: All magnetic fields allowed! Just make sure you have enough time to ramp down the field before the Helium level drops under 60%.
Helium level 40-60%: Magnetic fields up to 1 T allowed!
Helium level < 40%: No measurements allowed, await filling!
Funded by: Knut and Alice Wallenbergs foundation.